Pages

Friday, July 27, 2012

Its not about if, but when it will happen...

There are times when I think to myself that I have gotten over all my injuries.  I think my body is finally realizing the ability it has and is strong enough to push through after the weight loss and changing of lifestyles and running styles.  However, I think the new thought is not if something will happen anymore but when.  I have worked hard the last 2.5 weeks in my beginning preparations for the Baltimore Marathon.   This past Wednesday during my ultimate frisbee game (which we won!), I rolled my ankle.

Rolled might be an awkward way of putting it.  When it happened there wasn't pain, I just heard a pop or snap.  It hurt though when I tried to continue to run and kept on rolling lightly... just became plenty weak.  I took myself out of the game after a few points but played the final point.  We were tied and won like 16-15 or something like that, by one.

The point I am getting to is that injuries happen and I am realizing slowly that when they happen, it is about doing what is right and healing correctly.  I do not have swelling and no pain when I walk, but it hurts and easily bends and is painful then.  I am still icing, resting and getting it back.

There was a time before when I would think I am strong enough to work through it and continue to run through the pain... then I was out for 6 months.

I am waiting until Monday to start running again to give myself the opportunity to heal as much as possible.  I do not believe missing half a week will affect me too much in my overall training.  Things like this just happen and I am learning it is not about getting frustrated with it but just roll with the punches and just do what is possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment