Pages

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Second Wind/Second Attempt!

It has happened, I have gone crazy.  For those who do not know, I tried to run the Cleveland Marathon this past May and after doing something odd to my knee and an intense heat I was not expecting, I had to withdraw at mile 23.  Forever more, I will remember lying on the side of the road at the water station waiting for my mom to come pick me up just thoroughly exhausted.  I will probably throw a few more race recaps here or there throughout the next few months about what went wrong and what I will fix from the marathon.

In terms of quotes, the first thing I told my mom when I was picked up was 'it is just too damn long'.  Throughout the race I lost sight of why I was running and I can say with complete honesty that running that marathon was the single hardest thing I have ever tried to do.

Well... I have gone crazy and decided to try it again.

The Baltimore Marathon, a race I have read many good things about over time has surfaced as a race I will try to work towards running.  I have completed my training plan and after the first month (the end of July due to a rate increase), if I am still going well, I will sign up.

See my Baltimore Marathon training schedule here.

I mixed up my plan a little this time and the two main changes which I will comment on are the 3 mi every Monday and all the speed training.  The Mondays are so I can run with my dog Cody every Monday no matter what and maybe done the road he can run some of the 5 mile runs with me too.  Also, I figure I would like to work on some speed that will also aid me in increasing my 5k and 10k times and the interval training will do just that.  I ran a 5k a couple weeks ago finishing in 10th overall and 3rd in my age group at 19:30 (without my normal running shoes on a trail course).  Maybe I will break 19:00 in a coming race.

More to come! Especially now that I will have a computer that I can get into Google with and post through.

Beginning my marathon today to the finish line in October.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you are back on the wagon! You will do it! It's a tough distance and that day was awful for most everyone out there! and sounds like you are getting faster.. congrats on the 5k!!!

    ReplyDelete