Pages

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Rhythm of Running

There are many times when I am asked what type of music I listen to while running.  So many people I know when they work out or when they run need to be listening to this 'angry', really up beat techno-ish type of music.  I personally feel, that atleast for distance running, listening to this type of music is the opposite of the mentality that someone should have while running.  When I run, I enjoy listening to music that really gets me into the beat, into the rhythm, the Rhythm of Running.

In every playlist I have created for listening to while running, there are a few songs that keep on showing up that are prime examples of what I mean for the type of music to listen to while running.  If there was a best example, I would say Death Cab for Cutie and their song I Will Possess Your Heart.  This is one of those songs that just has a great rhythm to it in the beginning and just keeps on going.

There are even other more extravagantly slow songs I enjoy like The Rolling Stones and their song You Can't Always Get What You Want.  Come on, this is a song that is all about dedication.  "You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need."  What is more inspirational than that?  One of my favorite songs of all time.

There are some more 'upbeat' type of songs I enjoy while running, but still within reason.  The last few songs that I will individually highlight here are Augustana's Boston and by my favorite band Nine Days 257 Weeks, and lastly Counting Crows with Mr Jones.  All in all, I just need a song with a good rhythm to it, I could go on and on forever about the huge list of songs I think are amazing to listen to while running.  I will do one better though!

Music defines who I am I feel at times.  I enjoy jamming out in my car and singing at the top of my lungs.  I also feel it sets the mood, especially even in races.  For example, when I was in Israel, LMFAO came on before the Tel Aviv 10k with their song Every Day I'm Shuffling.  Well, I tend to remix that in my mind to Every Day I'm Struggling... and struggle I did during that race.  Before the Jerusalem 10k though, all they played was Katy Perry.  I was dancing around and singing and enjoying it so much... to date, my best ran race.

So the reason I am writing this blog post is because while running the Cleveland Marathon this coming May, I am allowed to listen to music while I am running.  Last year, I started to think of a 'Super List' of songs that I would love to listen to while running the Marathon.  Most of my lists are around 2ish hours.  With my goal to run a marathon in sub 3:30, I would like to create a 4 hour list of the best of the best songs. 

1. Death Cab for Cutie - I Will Possess Your Heart
2. Counting Crows - Mr JOnes
3. Nine Days - 257 Weeks
4. Augustana - Boston
5. Rolling Stones - You Cant Always Get What You Want
6. 311 - Beyond the Great Sky
7. Oasis - All Around the World

What songs do you enjoy listening to while running?  I am open for all suggestions too!

Stay tuned for song list update posts!

1 comment:

  1. if only you were still running in Tel Aviv...

    you still owe me three wing-woman opportunities :)

    anyways, I'm passing the Versatile Blogger Award to you!
    http://mentalmanna.wordpress.com/2012/02/20/the-versatile-blogger-award/

    ReplyDelete