Pages

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The Slacker

Okay I was not a slacker when it came down to training, just when it came down to finding time for the blog this past week. I am sorry!  Well mostly sorry to say the least.  It has been over a week since my last blog post and I slacked off on it heavily.  I would say it is about that time where the reality of the entire situation is starting to slowly come together.  Not to say I am not going to be running the marathon, but all the work necessary for school and the necessary time to run mixed in with having fun too.  However, now I am starting to get everything under control again and would like to use this post to give a little recap of where I am at currently.  



Upon my return to the States, I treated myself to a few new goodies!  The first of which was a new pair of running shoes.  I have a pair of Nike Free 2 that I wear for shorter runs and used for my running in Israel.  However, it was time to get a new pair of shoes that will become my marathon shoes, what my Sauchony's were supposed to be last year.  I went back to Second Soul in Lyndhurst to purchase a new pair and yet again, all I have to say about them is good things.  The guy there helped me try on a few pairs of shoes and give me a few pointers.  In the end I walked out happily with a new pair of Brooks running shoes.  The guy was even nice enough to give me a 15% discount.  On a side note, they have a very interesting sounding marathon training program that I was thinking of doing, but in the end as much as running can be a fun social event, I need to push myself to do this and know I can do it.  Personal preference.  

In accordance with my physical therapist from last year, I am now taking yoga (discussed in a previous post).  The JCC offers classes and they even offer use of Yoga mats.  Just thinking about using the mats and how clean they must NOT be, I treated myself to a lovely stroll through my favorite store, Target!  I ended up purchasing a new green yoga mat that has been great so far!  Even a little carrying strap to help me lug it around.  

 

As you can also see in the picture there is a medal!  I competed in the JCC Indoor Triathlon last Sunday.  I ended up running 10 miles Saturday and played 3 games of frisbee Saturday night.  On a lightly pulled (but wrapped and okay enough) groin and just tired out of my mind, I ended up winning my age group!  I even ran the farthest in my heat (1 lap of indoor track (130m) off of the fastest runner) and second in my heats biking after not sitting on a bike in 2 years.  All in all was a real fun time and cant wait to do it again next year!

 

I am still getting settled in my new training plan but making good progress.  On a more somber note, it seems that there is a wedding in Oklahoma I am going to the same weekend as the Toepath Half Marathon.  Seems I will not be running that but will be on the lookout for other races.

Stay tuned for a fun update later this week!  Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

  1. Way to go! btw a group of us are doing the Twinsburg indoor triathlon this Sunday if you are looking to do another! And yoga is awesome for runners, glad to hear you are incorporating into your routine!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh? I just looked into the Tri in Twinsburg, I think I may do it! It seems fun and it was great to just go out and have a good time with others for just the sake of being there. Was I right in my reading that you basically just register at the event? Also I saw on your post something about Shot Bloks, do you use Clif Shot bloks for your long runs? I just got some the other day and am yet to use them.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  2. hey... ok so I called the Twinsburg Rec and registered over the phone...not sure if there is race day registration, you should prob call and ask.

    in rgds to the long run... I will be doing my long run tomorrow. And then plan on doing an additional 5 or so miles after the Tri. It's hard when things come up last min and you have to switch around your running schedule.

    I like Clif shot blocks a lot... they taste great. I use them before a race or long run. I will eat them during a long run but not a race... I find it hard to chew during races so I stick to gels. but you should try them, I love them! The sport beans are good too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. my friends said you can register day of at 7:30am.

    ReplyDelete