Pages

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Running Home To Yoga

Well... it finally happened.  The trip of a life time came to a close and I have returned home to cold, snowy, and windy Cleveland.  Okay, that is not entirely true as it nearly hit 60F today!  I seem to have brought back some of Israel with me.  After spending 23.5 hours traveling yesterday, I came home and collapsed after going out to dinner.  Might as well give the full travel run down:

Wake up at 5:30 am
- 45 minute bus ride from housing to train station
- 2 hour train from station to airport
- 11 hour 40 minute flight from TLV to Newark
- 1 hour 30 minute flight from Newark to Cleveland! 

I landed at 8 pm local time and after sleeping for a night in an actual sized bed (yay no more small twin bed), I woke up early to go to my first class.  I am starting the rest of my life today!  It was an interesting class, Physics, that made me realize I will be capable of doing real well if I try hard enough, which I will.  It turns out that in the class, there is a lady who ran the Chicago Marathon recently.  However, she when I asked her about the Cleveland Marathon, she said she wasnt working towards it and tried to run two marathons since Chicago, only to not be able to finish the races.

So onto my new training!  I officially start my 15 week path to the Marathon this coming Monday, but in preparation, I am just working on some good fitness and preparing my body still for the beginning.  One thing I did last year which I mention often is all I did was run, run, run.  In my attempt to change that, I am going to be taking Yoga on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  I started that this week as I went to a 75 minute yoga class this evening.

Yoga... what can I say about Yoga?!  That it is wonderful, leaves you feeling regenerated, happy, and ready for whatever challenges are thrown your way.  Last year, with all my injuries, my physical therapist suggested I go to Yoga.  He only suggested I do it maybe once a week, but would be good to learn the basics.  I am going to take his thoughts to heart and actually go often!  Nearly two years ago, I went to take a class at Cleveland Yoga and enjoyed it beyond anything!  However, I never have been back to a class and now that I am back in Cleveland and signed up to the JCC, they offer free classes and it is about time I take advantage of them.

I went to Target (my favorite store in the world) and bought a new mat today and some new Clif bars.  With the ability to use my mat for the first time, I really enjoyed class.  I really built up a sweat as Yoga makes you work, but gave my muscles a good stretch.  I hope to not get injured as I will continue to do yoga on Thursday this week and twice every week to come.  This mixed with cross training of swimming on Monday, and weight lifting Monday/Wednesday I am hoping will give me a good mixture of building to a good core.

After my yoga, I got on the treadmill to just get into running in the USA.  Okay, this is when I finally realized that I am a bit jet lagged.  I ran only 2.5 miles in 17:03.  It was a little fast, especially when my marathon goal time is 3:30 (8 minute miles), but it felt good to get a good sweat in.  Tomorrow I am going to go swimming, all in preparation for the JCC Indoor Triathlon next Sunday.  Not anything serious, but why not have a little fun to jump start my training?

I am getting excited to begin training for the Cleveland Marathon fully next week!  They even sent me a HUGE shoulder strap bag for carrying shoes and items to the gym.  I think they are just trying to temp me into buying a shirt... it may be working. 

Glad to be home and getting excited!

1 comment:

  1. yay yoga! I miss it. after my roommate moved out, I had the apartment to myself for a few weeks. I lit candles in her room and did yoga by myself to a podcast. it was pretty amazing.

    also, I can't figure out how to follow your blog with my Wordpress account...

    ReplyDelete