Pages

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Baltimore Marathon Recap

Sorry about the long delay, I was waiting for some pictures to add to the blogpost... but it has arrived!  My recap of the Baltimore Marathon!  I just want to start by saying 'I did it! AND I beat my goal time!'

For the past couple years I have been preparing to complete my first marathon.  Through good times and bad times, I pushed through.  To throw a cliche out there, the third time is the charm.  Two years ago I didn't even make it to the Cleveland Marathon starting line due to injury.  This past year I gave out at mile 23 in the Cleveland Marathon.  For the third try, after months of great training, I completed the Baltimore Marathon in 3:28:12!

This was by far the hardest thing I have ever done.  I found out that I can train all that is necessary but without the mental desire to push through to the end, I would not have completed.  The pre-race fiasco was a little over the top.  I arrived with Judy in downtown Baltimore at 7:30 for the 8:00 am race only to find that it was a mess.  All the parking lots were full, traffic, and the people directing traffic had no idea where to send people to park.  By 7:45, we parked in a random lot and rushed over to the course. 

It was a cold day but that is just my opinion, the temperature was around 45-55 all day.  For the first few miles I ran with the 3:30 pace group.  It was going well from the start and I ended up finding myself around mile 4 pulling away from the pace group.  Up until mile 17, I continued to knock out 7:20-7:30 mile times.  At the half mark I was at 1:40.  This was good and bad, the bad was that the half marathon was on a staggered start and was set to begin at 9:45... 5 minutes after I ran past the start line again (the course was in a figure 8 in a way).

 

Baltimore is a very, very, rolling hills course.  The beginning and end are nearly strait up hill.  Everyone I talked to had said to be sure to save myself for mile 19... mile 19... over and over it came up. Well... mile 19 is when it got to be really hard.  I started to fell it and slow down slightly going up all the hills.  By mile 21-22, the course loops around a lake and it is quite flat... but after that it is again up hill and then downhill for the final couple miles. 

Again at mile 22 I had to walk for a few seconds.  My body was hurting, I was tired and I didn't know if I could go on.  It wasn't 10 seconds after I walked that someone tapped me on the shoulder and said 'Lets go, you're almost there'.  I took that to heart and at least pushed the next half mile to the water stop.  This is where the race got hard, all mental.  I walked the entire mile 22ish water stop.  By the end of the stop I told myself I have to push on no matter how slow, but run.  A half mile down the road I saw my Aunt Julia waiting and cheering me on!  It was a good boost.

At mile 23, I came across someone struggling too.  I started to talk to him and he asked if this was my first marathon.  I told him I tried the Cleveland in May, but only made it to mile 23.  I had just crossed to the farthest I had been and was still pushing forward.  I tried to get him to run with me to the end, but around 100 yards later, he had to stop.  I pushed on, still running at a high 8 minute pace. 

There are few accomplishments in life that I feel truly happy about but this is one of them.  Months of training started to come back to my mind as I pushed forward in the race.  I kept saying to just get to the next mile marker: 24, then 25.  I realized I was going to make it! 

For the last mile, I had a great time.  I started to think back to when I was 285.  Back to when Ronjon and I would meet at the rec center and run in my final semester of college.  Losing 30 lbs by the end of the semester.  Continuing to run and lose weight.  Running my first race, a 5k in the middle of winter and finishing in 22:12.  Going to Israel and running on the shores of the Mediterranean at sunrise early in the morning.  Running 3 different 10k races in Israel (all some how at the same time but learning to prepare correctly).  DNF at the Cleveland Marathon... Losing 100 lbs total... and then soon to cross the finish line at the Baltimore Marathon.

The course was very lackluster.  Supposidly we ran through the zoo, but it was quick and only a couple birds were shown.  There was a few miles with different themes but I never saw them.  The people made the race great, tons of fans all throughout the course.  This was really evident at the end.  The final mile was packed full of people cheering.  I was wearing my Cleveland Marathon shirt and was pushed along by constant cheers for Cleveland! 

After mile 26, the race turns into Camden Yards.  All the cheering goes away and for just over 100 yards, you run in near silence (or maybe I just tuned everything out).  It was great as there were onyl a few people around me and I could really reflect on my accomplishment.  I crossed the finish line in 3:28:12.  Fist pumping across the line (and my arm cramped).


Too tired to smile

I want to also thank Judy for coming out!  Getting a kiss for motivation throughout different spots in the course was very helpful.  Having a fan cheering was great! I love you Judy!



I am already planning on signing up for the Cleveland Marathon in May and am hoping to train to BQ.  I think I can do it!  In addition I am trying to figure out what to train for over the winter months in a gym.  I would like to run an early race in Feb/Mar and PR.  Whether it is a 16:30 5k, 36:00 10, or 1:30 half is up to debate currently.

This past weekend, I didn't take it easy and ended up pushing my body too far post race.  I really hurt my ankle and am out of running for a few weeks at least.  I can use this time to recuperate but am already missing working out. 


Thanks for all the support everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment